Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Art of the 3-Day Weekend

Hopefully, none of the rest of you are actually still in the city this weekend. It's Sunday, the mid-point of Memorial Day Weekend and I've found it's more about surviving this weekend than savoring it, sometimes.

I spent yesterday with my mom at the Metropolitan Museum of Art looking at some Anglomania exhibit. I wasn't aware that the exhibit was all about British fashion for if I had been aware of this prior to arriving at the MET, I would have never answered the phone when my mom called. Anyway, I was stuck, so I decided to try and enjoy myself. This was a bit harder than it should have been as I got about 3 hours sleep after spending Friday night at Bowlmor and some Irish Bar with friends.

The best part about the museum was lunch (for me at least; I've been to the MET countless times and I do enjoy it, but just wasn't in the mood yesterday). I had some great pasta thing for lunch and it was good; really helped the hangover. I also got a great book on Subway architecture and art, which, according to this book, are one and the same. (For those of you who don't know, I'm somewhat of a subway fan. If I could take a week off and drive a subway, that would be amazing.)

Today is suppposed to be "Dad comes to Brooklyn, take 2" but I've yet to hear from the man since last weekend, so we'll see. Like I said, it's all about survival. Clearly, 90% of my friends fled the city sometime on Thursday or Friday, so when ideas pop up like "Call Robyn" or "I wonder what Trevor is doing?" they're just met with the disappointing realization that everyone managed to secure plans for the weekend.

The best part of the 3-day weekend is the realization sometime Sunday afternoon that you have ONE MORE DAY before you have to go back to work! I'm excited for that moment. So that's the key to surviving this 3-day abyss.

No comments: