Thursday, December 21, 2006

Happy Holidays.... or Merry Christmas... or just enjoy the day off

So the holidays are here.... Great. Tomorrow, I'm flying here to see my grandparents. I have to say, I'm looking forward to getting out of the city for a while. The last time I left, I went to D.C. for the day and was sick the entire time. I'll be out of town until Wednesday, a significant amount of time away from work and this city. But I have to say, I'm just not in the holiday spirit this year.

It always happens to me every year: Christmas sort of sneaks up on me while I'm not looking and by the time I take notice, it's a new year and new projects at work and the cycle starts all over again. One of my favorite things about Christmas used to be cutting down a REAL Christmas tree every year. Not only would I NEVER allow a fake tree in the house, I also had to make sure we cut it down fresh.

UPDATE: I'm back from the grandparents'. I like how earlier (last week) I commented that I wanted to get out of the city for a while. Put it this way: I should have stayed in the city. Between airport delays, grumpy family members, and the non-stop eating that apparently happens everywhere but New York, I'm not exactly pleased with the trip. Plus you always hear about "Christmas in New York", but who really stays here for the actual holiday? Most people are gone until after New Years; I'm sitting in my mostly empty office this week wondering why I'm not off.

No comments: