Friday, December 15, 2006

"Noonan" syndrome

Before you all go ahead and accuse me of making this one up, or tell me that "Yeah, I've heard of Noonan syndrome... it's when you get black-out drunk.", there is in fact a Noonan syndrome. And apparently, it's quite debilitating.

Noonan syndrome is a genetic disorder that effects the growth of body parts in children. Symptoms include "webbing of the neck" as well as "different shapes of the chest".

I'm not quite sure (that's not true, I just found out: Jacqueline Noonan.. helps if you read the Wikipedia entry) how my last name became synonymous with some horrible, debilitating disease (and I'm sure that one of you out there will spend more time researching this than I did on Friday afternoon). Apparently, 1 in every 2,500 kids will be born with NS, or Noonan syndrome.

I think after reading about Noonan syndrome, I'd much rather prefer the disease to be "ability to become black-out drunk" rather than what it is now. Then again, neither of those are really that great. I think I'll discover Paul Noonan syndrome, where an individual is incredibly handsome, smart, funny, and above all, has a good heart..... Think it will catch on?

No comments: