Monday, January 01, 2007

The New Year

Not to sound overly "emo" or "pessimistic New Yorker", but so far, this is the new year. (Those of you who've read anything from earlier in 2006 know that I blog about Death Cab too much.)

Point being, I really don't feel any different. Let's examine the last 48 hours or so:

1) Spent the day in bed Saturday sick/hungover.......the entire day
2) Woke up too early on Sunday, partly as a product of spending Saturday in and out of consciousness.
3) Breakfast from this place (they deliver; minimum delivery charge = $3.75)
4) Called Trevor to firm up plans to meet at Jules' new place (both good friends from high school; Jules just moved in with his girlfriend on the Upper East Side.)
5) Lugged bottle of wine (it's not really "lugging" as it's just a bottle of wine, but I felt awkward carting it uptown in a Target bag) to Jules' new pad and helped move furniture (thankfully, he was moving exactly one block further downtown).
6) Hung out with Trevor, Jules, Monica (Jules' girlfriend), Alissa (who, though she refuses to admit it, attempted to burn me with a hot glue gun in 8th grade "Technology" class) and some others, notably Frank.
7) Headed to Williamsburg to see Your 33 Black Angels, the band that my friend Tim from high school started a while back. (Tim passed in early 2006... we miss you, man.)
8) Wandered home on the L train around 3 am. Made it to my apartment soaked and sober (rain on New Years Eve?) by 3:30 am.
9) Woke around 10 am today. Ended up going to the office for a few hours as I'd neglected a few projects last week what with all the people being gone and the distractions.
10) Met up with a friend for dinner and some horrendous TV.

I think we all like to believe there will be some earth-shattering change in our lives or that with the new year, somehow, "things" will be different. I've given up on this concept. Time is irrelevant to how "things" go in your life. They either happen, or they don't, and reasons abound for both paths. So, while I welcome a return to a normal work pattern and a more regular gym pattern, I see nor feel no discernible difference in 2007 from 2006. Perhaps it's all just a mental construct in order to get ourselves together, resolved to make changes and do "things" differently.... I'm not buying it anymore.

No comments: