Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sowing Season

The title of this post refers to this band and their latest release. I've been a fan for years; still deciding about the new release.

I feel the title is also appropriate as this weekend was rather spring-like (that's when you sow seeds, right?....) in New York. Of course, I wasn't here to enjoy the weekend. I was upstate visiting family I had missed over the holidays. I'm always happy to spend time outside the city, especially when some sort of family is involved. But can't we do these things on cold weekends? The temperature apparently made it up to 72 fantastic degrees on Saturday. Some friends even spoke of friends of theirs heading to the shore for the day. Imagine: heading to the beach in January in New York.

I think all this "false" weather is great, but I have a real distaste for cold. This probably has something to do with going to college in Binghamton, where the temperature rarely rises above freezing during January and February and it snows every night. Some of you are probably wishing it would snow any day now, and hard so that Manhattan grinds to a halt. Snow days are great when you're still getting an education. Snow days are horrendous when you're trying to get to work because you work in private industry and NOTHING ever shuts that industry down (even a transit strike) and you're slipping and sliding through slush (snow doesn't last long in Manhattan; conversion to slush is nearly instantaneous) just to get to the subway which is probably running slow for no reason other than, well, it's snowing. You can see how this all goes downhill quickly. And on top of the snow/slush nightmare, IT'S COLD!

So I say, bring on the unseasonably warm temperatures for as long as possible. Perhaps when this all ends, it will be April, and then we'll just be saying "it's seasonably warm". Works for me.

No comments: