Thursday, June 15, 2006

Obsessive behavior?

Around this time, last summer, I went on a health/fitness kick that I'm finding myself coming around to again. I would severely limit my caloric intake as well as make every attempt to burn off more than half of what I took in everyday. The result: I lost 40 pounds in about 3 months. Although I didn't have any kind of muscle definition, I felt great. I wouldn't describe myself as "overweight" but, like most Americans, I have some areas that I'm not too proud of. So to see those areas shrink or disappear felt really good.

The problem I face (forgive me any ladies reading this, I understand most of you go through this on a daily basis) is that when I get to where I want to be, I find it's hard to regulate and maintain that weight. Of the 40 I took off, I put 20 back, and most of that came rushing in when I moved to Brooklyn. It's too damn easy to eat like crap in this city. Usually after coming home at 7 or 8, after one of those "I did a ton of work today and I'm not just saying that to justify coming home at 8" days, I'll stop by the Thai restaurant or the Chinese place or pick up pasta and sauce from Russo's. Carb-loaded with rice or pasta and always greasy. But, it's fast and I'm tired.

So what do I do on those days when I'm trying to stay healthy? Park Slope is great, but there are no "do-it-yourself" salad spots around. Plus, people in Brooklyn have this body image thing, kind of akin to "I might have some extra meat on me, but I've got some curves (if you're a woman)" Mind you, I prefer ladies with curves, so that's fine, just pointing out how this mentality doesn't fly in Manhattan, really... For guys, I find it's more of a "I'm too cool to go to the gym. Plus, I live in Brooklyn, and I pretend not to care that I'm still single and 35 and it's all because I won't adjust my eating habits or drinking with my boyz."

Clearly, I don't want to fall into any of that, and I don't want you to get the impression that it's all about looks with me: not at all. In terms of women, I'm much more attracted to a girl who's got the curves than one who's really thin. Laws of physical attraction, according to Noonan, dictate you have the womanly shape and not the 12-year old boy shape.

In terms of my own weight though, I'm very much aware that my overall quality of life is much higher when I'm slimmer, not just in terms of health, but just being happy with myself. I'm also much more confident, not just with the ladies but also throughout life. But do we need to be obsessive to get to where we want to be? In my career, I often think that if I work harder or constantly put my nose to the "grindstone" that I'll be promoted. And, that pretty much works. So why wouldn't I try to be just as diligent with my weight? In no way is what I'm doing actually unhealthy: I'm not puking or eating a string bean for dinner with a side of water. But I'm working out, I'm eating less, I cut out the ice cream and other things that I'm craving RIGHT NOW AS I WRITE THIS. So hopefully, in a month or so, I'll be back to where I want to be in terms of my weight and then I'll have had enough time to figure out how to maintain what I have and not gain some or all of what I spent so much time and energy losing. Any comments on this or suggestions of how to maintain are welcomed.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Perhaps Sugar Sweet Sunshine isn't really the best remedy if you're looking to lose or maintain weight???? Take a hike, really, take a hike. I live in Louisiana, probably the flattest place on the face of the earth (ok, maybe I'm over reacting). You're in New York; aren't there mountains up there? Man, what I wouldn't give...

that guy said...

Perhaps you are right, though my exercise regimen and eating routine take a hiatus on the weekends. Thing about New York is yeah, there are mountains, in the rest of the state. The New York I live in is a city, currently composed of 2 boroughs (for me; 5 for the rest of the world) that are connected by a subway line, the F. Soon, it will be just one borough, Manhattan, and the only thing resembling a mountain is this hill uptown, that isn't really a hill.