Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Could it be????

Yes, that's right, I've actually found suitable housing in Manhattan. Not only have I found suitable housing, but the other occupants I'll be sharing the space with are normal and they actually want me to live with them! So, it's official, I'M MOVING TO MANHATTAN!!

Here are the details: Huge (about 15x22) room in the Financial District, close to the river and not too far from the A/C/E and 1 train. We have a doorman and laundry in the building (a big deal for a Brooklyn guy like myself). The other roommates are cool; I know one of them from Binghamton and the other one seemed like a chill guy. The room itself is nearly larger than my apartment in Park Slope now. The best part: The floor is not collapsing!!

So I'm moving September 1st. Everyone else out there who is still searching, keep your head above water. It's damn near impossible to find what you want, so you have to settle sometimes. I wasn't willing to compromise on the size of the room, but was willing to walk 5-8 minutes to get to a subway. Also, the neighborhood isn't exactly crawling with bars and restaurants, but I'd rather have a place to get away from that, but still be close enough to everything (i.e. in Manhattan and not 45 minutes out in Brooklyn). So make a list and figure out what's important to you and what's not. If you're willing to live in a closet and be 5 floors up with no elevator, then you could find a room tomorrow, in any neighborhood.

There are some things I will miss about Brooklyn but not too many. I'll probably miss the cool Thai place that finally opened up after 3 months of delays on 14th and 7th (Watana Thai, great food if you find yourself in that part of Brooklyn). I'll also miss the excitement of moving to my first place outside home. I really would stay in this place if it was not falling down. But it's better for me to be closer to work and friends and have a stable place than to be out in Brooklyn, worrying that I might wake up in a pile of what used to be my building.

No comments: