Thursday, April 27, 2006

F Train

This morning I had a unique experience on the F train. It was my first time on a crowded train with a gentleman who proceeded to talk to thin air, in a rather angry manner, and was reacting as if thin air was responding. The shocking thing about all of this was that he was clean, dressed in jeans and sweatshirt, and appeared as if he was coming from/going to a job. He was, in fact, ranting about his boss and how horrible of a person this boss is. He kept threatening that tomorrow is "Sit on my ass Friday" and how he won't do a thing.

Some people laughed at the man, some ignored him, other's gave dirty looks. I think I was somewhere between the last two, as there were small children on the train and he was really going at it with the "F this and F that". But then I started wondering what could have possibly driven this man to get to this point, where he needs to shout out in a crowded subway at nobody in particular. Could it really be that his job is that awful? I mean we all say at some point "Man, I hate this job." but we all say that either to someone else or in our heads, and not over and over again in front of strangers at an elevated tone. Regardless of what has driven this man to this point, I felt bad for him and hoped that at some point, someone would help him out. I suppose I should be thankful that he wasn't asking for money at the same time, as his method probably would have been rather ineffective (I used to shout at my mom for cash; never worked out well).

The misadventures of Noonan continue..... Stay tuned for more.

No comments: