Sunday, July 09, 2006

60 years of marriage

I attended my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary party yesterday on Long Island. The day started early for me as I had to get all the way out to Smithtown by 11 am via LIRR. As the train pulled into the station, I started to think about all the times I've been to their house in my life. When I was much younger I remember going there with my dad for Christmas and various times during the summer months. Their house seemed massive to me then and always had that "home" smell to it. Needless to say, I was really excited to go back and see them and have a nice party.

My grandmother did most of the cooking but hired a lady to help her in the kitchen. They also hired a pianist (Tom Smith, who was really great) to play for a few hours during the party. This being a Noonan affair, we had a full bar set up outside with plenty of Heineken on ice as well.

The party was going well by mid-afternoon. Many of my grandparents' life long friends were showing up and I was finally putting faces to all the names I've heard throughout the years in various stories that I've heard 5 or 6 times already. Cousins I never knew I had showed up, and it was great to meet them as well.

I'd say the highlight of the event though was my grandfather taking the microphone and singing to my grandmother. My grandfather used to perform in the 40's and 50's at clubs in New York as a "great Irish singer". I have to say, at 80 some years old, he's still got it. My grandmother was embarrassed at first, but then joined him and began to sing along as the Tom Smith played some really great old song that only the older folks knew.

I have to say, I had a great time at my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. It's absolutely incredible that they've been married for 60 years and what's more incredible is that they're the happiest people I know. I've never seen them fight and they're always out and about, doing things together, being happy, enjoying retirement. We should all be so lucky to have someone to share our lives with for 60 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a sweet story babe.. i'm starting to question how anyone can be with someone for over 10 years, let alone 60 years! that seems so amazing to me!

Tara said...

Paul Noonan, you are hillarious! I was blogging, kind of in the dumps, so I decided to scan a little (something I never do), and bloop -- here was your blog, and I have been reading for the past hour, lauging out loud. My dogs are looking at me and tipping heads. :) thank you.